Interim Staff Accountant – Independent Contractor
ABOUT HOMEWARD PIKES PEAK – COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
The mission of HPP is to work with individuals and families in our community to achieve their full potential through supportive housing and recovery services, to rebuild dignity & self-sufficiency, and permanently exit homelessness. Our efforts focus on overcoming the barriers to developing and maintaining stable housing and sober living. To do this, we adhere to commonly held social work values of service, social justice, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity, and competence. We believe that these values infuse the work of HPP and
are a guidepost to which our staff and partners should aspire.
Homeward Pikes Peak is seeking an experienced interim Accountant to support our small, dynamic nonprofit organization in Colorado Springs. This is a three-month interim role to provide key support to HPP’s current Staff Accountant while the Finance Director is out of the office.
This position will own and be responsible for accounts payable and payroll. The Interim Accountant will also support additional accounting activities as needed. This position requires timely, accurate processing of payroll, invoices, and payments to ensure the reliability of our grant funding.
The ideal candidate will have strong attention to detail, be very organized, can verify own work and have a passion for making a difference in the community. This interim position is needed from May 15 through August 18 only, and reports to HPP’s Staff Accountant.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage Accounts Payable and Vendor Documentation
• Set up and maintain vendor accounts in HPP’s QuickBooks accounting system
• Verify invoices and check requests for accuracy on approvals and supporting documentation, GL coding, etc.
• Enter vendor invoices, check requests, expense reports, etc. into the accounting system
• Manage weekly check printing and associated signature process
• File paid vendor check copies/invoices on a weekly basis
• Make copies of vendor invoices for grant invoicing, as needed
• Ensure and maintain vendor W-9s on file
• Status inquiries.
• Input bi-weekly staff payroll via Paylocity
• Verify vacation and sick balances
• Verify adjustments to health insurance and 401k deductions
• Update employee changes in the payroll system
• Pull payroll reporting used for government reimbursement grant invoicing
Provide cash management, bank reconciliations, and forecasting support
Provide invoicing support
Support additional accounting department needs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Bachelor’s degree preferred with focused accounting coursework, experience in lieu of education will be accepted
• Five years of success in accounting positions required
• Accounting software experience (QuickBooks, Paylocity) required
• Advanced computer proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required
• Strong Excel skills required: comfort level with formulas, data verification, and pivot tables required
• Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload to ensure close schedule and grant billing deadlines are met
• Understanding of regulations and standards regarding privacy and confidentiality in the provision of direct services
• Ability to self-check work to ensure accuracy
• Ability to work independently and with members from other teams
• Current driver’s license and personal auto insurance required
The pay range for this position is $25 – $35 per hour as a 1099 independent contractor. This is a
full-time position authorized to work 40 hours per week.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Homeward Pikes Peak is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Homeward Pikes Peak makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.