ABOUT HOMEWARD PIKES PEAK – COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
The mission of HPP is to work with individuals and families in our community to achieve their full potential through supportive housing and recovery services, to rebuild dignity and self-sufficiency, and permanently exit homelessness. Our efforts focus on overcoming the barriers to developing and maintaining stable housing and sober living. To do this, we adhere to commonly held social work values of service, social justice, dignity and worth of the person, importance of human relationships, integrity, and competence. We believe that these values infuse the work of HPP and are a guidepost to which our staff and partners should aspire.
Homeward Pikes Peak seeks an experienced Accounting Assistant to join our small, dynamic nonprofit organization in Colorado Springs. Qualified candidates with 2+ years of accounting experience are encouraged to apply.
This position will be primarily responsible for accounts payable, payroll and bank reconciliations. The Accounting Assistant will also support the Finance Director with cash management, invoicing, file management and audit activities. This position requires timely, accurate processing of payroll, invoices, and payments to ensure reliability of our grant funding. Ideal candidate will have strong attention to detail, be very organized, can self-verify work and have a passion for making a difference in the community. This position reports to the Finance Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following; however, other duties may be assigned.
1 – Manages Accounts Payable and Vendor Documentation
- Set-up and maintain vendor accounts in HPP’s QuickBooks accounting system
- Verify invoices and check requests for accuracy on approvals and supporting documentation, GL coding, etc.
- Enter vendor invoices, check requests, expense reports, etc. into accounting system
- Manage weekly check printing and signature process
- File paid vendor check copies / invoices on a weekly basis
- Make copies of vendor invoices for grant invoicing, as needed
- Ensure and maintain vendor W-9s on file
- Prepare and distribute annual 1099-MISC forms to vendors
- Respond to vendor payment status inquiries
2 – Manages Payroll
- Input bi-weekly staff payroll via Paylocity
- Verify vacation and sick balances
- Manage 401k contribution deductions and system
- Verify adjustments to health insurance deductions
- Update employee changes in payroll system
- Verify W2 forms annually and distribute
- Pull payroll reporting used for government reimbursement grant invoicing
3 – Cash Management Support
- Reconcile monthly credit card and bank statements, ensuring documentation for audit purposes
- Log bank deposits and other bank receipts in accounting system
- Support cash forecasting models
4 – Invoicing Support
- Verify monthly CCHA/Medicaid billing amounts. Provide backup support for clinic billing
- Provide expense reimbursement invoicing on government grants
5 – Supports Additional Accounting Department Needs
- Provide annual audit support on AP, credit card and bank statement items
- Assist with maintenance of contract, invoice, and vendor files
- Assist with grant management and reporting
HOMEWARD PIKES PEAK TEAM RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend and participate in staff meetings.
- Attend and/or participate or interact with donors, attend community events, or fundraising as requested.
- Produce documentation timely as requested for audits and audit resolutions.
- Maintain office environment to professional standards and display abundant teaming skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Bachelors level education with accounting coursework
- 2-4 years of success in accounting positions required
- High computer proficiency with Microsoft office suite
- Strong Excel skills required: comfort level with formulas, data verification, pivot tables
- Accounting software experience (QuickBooks, Paylocity)
- Attention to detail and strong organization skills
- Ability to work independently and with members from other teams
- Ability to prioritize workload to ensure close schedule and grant billing deadlines are met
- Strong communication skills
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The pay range for this position is $20.50 – $25.50 per hour. This is a full-time position authorized to work 40 hours per week.
HPP provides paid vacation, and sick leave for full-time, regular employees. Other benefits include medical, vision and dental insurance that the employee may select at one-half the cost of the premium. Additionally, short term disability, accidental death and dismemberment, life insurance, and EAP are provided at no cost to the employee. 401K participation is available for selection.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Homeward Pikes Peak is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Homeward Pikes Peak makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.